You know I’m not kidding when I say I get on an ingredient kick. Yes, we’re continuing with an orange theme here. In my own defense however, muffins and slow cooker chicken are really not even remotely close in the recipe realm, are meant for two entirely difference courses (unless you’re having breakfast for dinner) and have basically nothing in common other than the orange itself.
I further prove my case by pointing out that I used orange juice in this recipe, as opposed to the orange zest in the muffins.
Original and thrifty.
(I am secretly preparing another breakfast orange-themed recipe which will be posting soon but seeing as how that information is detrimental to my case, let’s just pretend you don’t know that…)
Can you tell the hubbs has been having me watch waaaaay too many lawyer-y shows lately? Even if I’m working diligently on my laptop while the court scene commences in the background, it’s obvious I’m somehow absorbing enough that legal mentality is infusing itself into my thoughts and clearly, my blogging.
My sincerest apologies.
Concerning this juicy, sweet and savory, finger-lickin sesame chicken however, there will be no apologies.
Well maybe just one. I will only apologize if you do not make this ridiculously easy and insanely tasty dish. And only because I truly feel sorry that you are missing out on a real treat here.
And maybe one more apology. Concerning mid-week last resort take-out.
I’m sorry Asian buffet but we will no longer be requiring your services thank you.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- juice of two large oranges
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2½ tablespoons corn starch
- 4 cups long grain white rice, cooked
- 2 cups chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
- sesame seeds
- Place chicken in slow cooker. In a bowl combine soy sauce, honey, apple cider vinegar, and next five ingredients. Mix well, then pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, drain liquid from slow cooker into a large sauce pan, add minced garlic, and cook over medium high heat about 3-4 minutes. White sauce is simmering, shred chicken in slow cooker with two forks. Whisk together cold water and corn starch until dissolved, then add to sauce pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Add sauce back to slow cooker and cover until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken over rice and pineapple. Top with sesame seeds.