For a ridiculously long time I’ve been wanting to make chicken tenders. Yet I have not. Why I that is, I really can’t say. As if I haven’t had about thirteen chicken breasts in the freezer sealed in separate plastic ziplock bags just waiting to be thawed, cut into strips, breaded and baked. I am truly struggling to find a good excuse.
Yeah I have none.
And now that I’ve made them, I’m sooooo not waiting another six months to make them again.
Reason #1: they are amazingly delicious and I must have that sweet and tangy honey mustard slather chicken in my mouth again pronto. Plus I’m priding myself on this new flavor combo: cashew + sesame. Love it.
Reason #2: possibly the easiest weeknight dinner ever prepared. Okay not the easiest ever ever but really really close. Top ten maybe?
Reason #3: healthy baked-not-fried recipe makeover = huge brownie points.
Please learn from my example. Do not wait six months to make these. There are no excuses, trust me I would know… I am the queen of good excuses.
- 3 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to ¾ inch thickness
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cut chicken into strips. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat 1-2 minutes each side or just until each side is slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
- Finely chop cashews and mix together with bread crumbs, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper. Place mixture in a bowl. Put flour in another another bowl and beaten eggs in a third bowl. Dip chicken strips into egg, coating both sides, then dip into flour, then egg mixture one more time, then finally toss in the cashew-sesame mixture.
- Place chicken tenders on a greased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Bake 15-20 minutes or until chicken is white all the way through. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- While chicken tenders are cooking, prepare the sauce. Whisk together all ingredients and let sit at room temperature until ready to serve.
Sauce recipe from various Pinterest sources.