Oh have I got a treat for you. But let’s break it down first. I really love apple crisp, but I can be a little picky. I like lots and LOTS of crumbly topping, like the ratio should be somewhere around nine to one. One being the apple part, and nine being the crumbly part. The topping also can’t be too crunchy. It should be firm, but it should be making noise when I bite into it. Apple Crisp, not Apple Crunch. Although thought that could be an idea for another incredible dessert.
This apple crisp has the perfect amount of crumbly topping all over hot, sugary sweet apples. But the best part of this apple crisp? The salted caramel sauce, obviously. It’s amazing!!! You know how you feel when you discover you’ve been eating something great, but not as great as something… greater? That’s exactly how you’re going to feel when you sink your teeth into this incredible apple crisp topped with creamy vanilla ice cream and drizzled with rich salted caramel sauce. You’ll never go back to salted-caramel-free apple crisp!! You just can’t, it is too wonderful!
- 8-10 small to medium apples, peeled and sliced into thin wedges (I used a combination of red and green apples)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 stick butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 jar caramel ice cream topping
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon fine grained salt (use sea salt if you have it!)
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a large casserole dish or 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread apple slices evenly in dish. Sprinkle with ¼ cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats and stir til mixed. Use a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingers to mush chilled butter pieces into dry mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle crumby mixture over apples. (I used almost all of it, but use as much as you would like) Bake 35-45 minutes, until apples are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.
- To prepare caramel sauce, heat heavy cream and butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add car male sauce and whisk until ingredients are smooth and completely combined. Stir in salt. Store in a jar or sealable container. Serve apple crisp warm with vanilla ice cream if desired, and top with salted caramel sauce.