Yayyyyy for curry. When I’m thinking comfort food, sure my mother’s blue cheese mashed potatoes with made-from-scratch gravy come to mind, how can they not. But creamy red curry with a hint of coconut and lime with veggies, chickpeas, and basmati rice? That has to spell C.O.M.F.O.R.T. I will admit I’ve been found in several instances on the couch indulging in Gray’s Anatomy re-runs, my gray fuzzy slippers I love so much because I can wear them both inside and outside, and a bowl of steaming hot curry. I crave it regularly. Like… right now.
I’d really like to know – how do you feel about chickpeas? I was introduced to them only in the last couple of years when I discovered hummus. Where was hummus all of my life before that? Really. Shouldn’t the ranch dip at parties be replaced with creamy hummus? Okay maybe not, I really love my ranch dip. But they should at least both be invited. One carrot with hummus, one carrot with ranch dip, one triscuit with hummus…. You see what I mean.
I don’t think I’d just eat a handful of raw chickpeas, but they are a fantastic vehicle for something like curry. This meal comes together SO quickly. Seriously, I could push it to thirty minutes if I was realllllly being slow. But if I’m hungry (and I always am) there’s no way this is taking longer than twenty minutes. Just chop those veggies, throw em in a pan and cook them til tender, add the rest of the ingredients, stir til warm, serve over rice. How easy is that? Crazy delicious, totally simple and ready to eat in no time at all – this Chickpea Curry is the perfect healthy weeknight dinner!
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced crosswise
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- optional: cooked white rice
- Add snow peas, onions, carrots, red peppers and oil to a large pan or nonstick skillet and sauté over medium-high heat 5-6 minutes until veggies are tender. Add garlic and cook another minute or so until garlic is fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, red curry paste, lime juice, yellow curry powder, chickpeas, garlic slat, and salt. Continue to cook and stir until chickpeas are heated through (about five minutes). Stir in cilantro. Taste and add salt if desired. Serve warm over rice and top with additional cilantro. Enjoy!
*recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is